Monday, January 28, 2008

Week 4: Trends and Issues, Social Bookmarking

1) I think social bookmarking is Fabulous. I have always done my Favorites and added my sites to there, but being able to access those favorites anywhere and share them with anyone is great. It is an answer to my prayers. I do work on a lot of different computers and instead of trying to google the website (because I can't remember the 1,800 word url) I just pull up my del.icio.us and it is all right there at the tip of your finger. I am so excited to have this now and who knows how long it has been out there and I have had no clue. As for teacher to teacher or student to teacher or all the other endless possibilities, I feel social bookmarking is our first step in research and sharing. Instead of everyone doing their own seperate research that would take hours and hours, you can look into everyone elses research. Someone might have already weeded out the certain subject you are researching or you might be the one to do the weeding. But in the long run there will be less weeding by all since we can share our research in such an easy way.

2)I agree with the definition proposed in the Trends and Issues text. Since I have kind of worked a little backwards, I have taken a few class in our program already and have learned a great deal. Especially, about new ed tech resources and systematic instructional design pieces. Now if you would have asked this question to me a few months ago, I probably would have had more of a blank expression of I don't know. But now I feel much more confident in the information that this definition entails. There was nothing that jumped out at me in this chapter and I am not sure if anything is missing; however, I feel this would be a great question for your graduates of this program as they look back after all they have learned and can then maybe understand what is missing or that they hit it right on the nose. So until futher notice I think the definition is great.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jacqueline,

I agree that social bookmarking is a great tool, one that can save time, and as you pointed out, help students weed through a lot of dead-ends while working on research projects. After reading Trends and Issues, I came to the conclusion that the definition of educational technology will continue to evolve and change as new possiblities come up to use the many technologies available and for those yet to be discovered.

spencercarr said...

At first, I didn't really see much of a point to social bookmarking, but I guess for a person like you who uses a lot of different computers, it would be very useful. I would think that this would really come in handy for someone like a music or art teacher who traveled from building to building. That way they could have their bookmarks available for themselves or their students all of the time.

I think your point about research and sharing is a good one. This would really help out when it comes to group projects. Students could bookmark pages and then share their bookmarks with the rest of the group. I know that sometimes when I am doing research, I have a hard time getting back to pages that I had used previously because I was on a different computer. Social bookmarking would save me from that problem. Good job on your reflection.