Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wiki Reflection - Week 3

I love the Wiki, and its’ name. With the help of the tutorials, I thought the Wiki was very easy to navigate. We had a little problem with a group member not being able to access the Group Page, but I believe that was solved. It was just like setting up a page on Word with pictures and words. I also liked the simplicity of connecting the links to the site.
As for the use in a classroom setting, I feel it would be a fabulous addition to keeping communication lines open for students, staff, and parents. You could set up a Wiki for your school or as a teacher and make separate pages for each class you teach. Everyone could see your unit/lesson plans, homework, pictures of the students work or the students working, exemplary projects, helper links for homework, and activity ideas for home or even extra credit. The possibilities are endless. Students and parents could post ideas or questions. You could even have student created pages were they could upload their homework or activities they have completed. As for a school page, every teacher,administrator, and staff personnel could have their own page to highlight themselves and the work they are doing.
As for the Tim O'Reilly article, quite hard to understand all of the terms. But by using Wikipedia, I manage to get through it and gain more of an understanding to the Web 2.0. Not a full understanding but much better than when I started this class.
All in all I think it is a fairly easy educational technology tool that can be used by all.

4 comments:

Ms. S said...

I'm in complete agreement about the level of understanding for everything that O'Brien was explaining. I guess the point is that we all recognize that the power of multiple people trying to attack smaller chunks of the concepts is a very effective strategy. For my own part, I know I understand the subtopics I was assigned better than perhaps the overall world of "2.0." My experiences with wiki were similar to your own and I think it's safe to say that everyone experience minor glitches, but nothing catastrophic.
I truly like your idea of using a wiki as a means for establishing and maintaining communication. It sounds like a wonderful way to implement the technology that everyone could participate in. IT does prompt me to ask what school level (elementary, middle, or high school) are you proposing this for? While I would love to have something like this set up, in a high school setting it would be very difficult to keep it updated enough that it would be relevant. I commend you for your ambition, because it sounds awesome. I suppose that consideration of setting and resources would simply have to be a factor in deciding to create a wiki for this purpose, right?

- Chris Strayer

andre.EDT.blog said...

Hi, Jacqueline,
Wow, thank you. And, I hadn't even thought about the final project - I'll keep that in mind. I hope I learn to love the Wiki as much as you, I'm still awkward with it, and stumble around a bit. But you're right, the potential is exciting. I liked your thoughts on using the Wiki for open communication between school and home, especially if parents could have a "bird's-eye view" of your curricula, and students could post assignments - that would help everyone!
Andre'

Unknown said...

I really think that using a wiki in the classroom could aid in student understanding and participation. If I was a student using a wiki I would love posting my projects as opposed to turning in a hard copy. Using a wiki would also be a great stepping stone towards computer programming for students who are interested. From a parental stand-point I would love being able to jump online and see how my child is doing, what they are doing, and what is coming up in the future, all from one site.

Craven said...

Web 2.0 is much easier to think about now that we have Web 2.0 devices such as Wikipedia. Crazy to think that our understanding comes only with its applications.

Setting up unit plans online through a wiki is great also because it lets the parents see what you are doing and allows them to know that you can change things to suit the changes that occur from year to year.

thanks,
Clifton