Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 10 - Ch. 21

One thing I like in chapter 21 is the breakdown of committees. Right now I feel that every other day we have a new committee forming and for the most there is a handful of some of the same teachers volunteering for each one. Our school is in the middle of a lot of change, but I feel that we are trying to do it all at once and way to fast. Another problem is that some of our superiors delegate to the committees and then change or do not use the information that the committee has worked hard on. So wasted time. I feel if we had a better breakdown like Step Up To Excellence (SUTE) has and everyone agrees on what they are supposed to do and it is their responsibility to cover the changes, than our time will be spent more efficiently.
I also enjoyed reading about the Guided System for Transforming Education (GSTE). I have not been educated a lot on how the district is actually run and hurdles they would have to cross. The GSTE gives great events to go by for the change and/improvements for districts to follow. I am interested to see what our district uses or if it is this process, how has it worked in the past. I am guess a masters in administration would come in handy for this info.
The ecological systemic change definition kind of had my head spinning in words. However, after I read it a few times it really made sense to how some changes that are made in and environment can have a huge domino effect on the rest of the environment. The best way to make sure this doesn't happen is to prepare for the changes that could happen in other systems of the environment. We send out a lot of surveys for opinions on change, and it does get a little out of hand. But if we look at all the input we received back from everyone it helped us pin point areas that would be greatly affected in good and/or bad ways and can be resolved before the main changes are implemented. Saving us plenty of grief if we wouldn't have done it in the beginning. Over all I think Chapter 21 was one of the better chapters for me.

No comments: