Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chapter 27 and Website

The three competencies I would like to strengthen are: identifying and describing the target population characteristics, select & use variety of techniques to define and sequence the instructional content and strategies, and promote collaboration and partnership among the key participants in a design project.

I would like to strengthen how I identify and describe target population characteristics throughout my school. I work with every student in my school and I am new to the area where I work. I feel if I could get a better knowledge of the characteristics of my students in this area I could relate more of my lessons to their understanding.

I would like to broaden my techniques of teaching and the content that goes in my lessons. I am a new teacher and still trying to settle down, but I feel if I keep on adding different content and find new ways to administer the knowledge that I want my students to learn then they will stay motivated to learn and it will also help my stay fresh and not get stuck in the same old routine as I here some teachers complain about.

I would also like to find the time to work with my physical therapists to combine our work so we are collaboratively working on similar objectives. Also sharing ideas that I know they have a different knowledge of. This will be my hardest competency to strengthen because there isn't enough time in the day to have to add another meeting to the unending list of meetings we already have. I think if I just plan it and do it we can finally get going instead of procrastinating. Sometimes I think procrastinating is one of my greatest strengths, not saying that it gets me anywhere though!!

These are just a few competencies that I would love to grow on, but I feel that being a teacher you will never stop growing and learning new things.

Some of my strengths in the competencies are conducting a needs assesment, design a curriculum, and communicating in visual, oral, and written forms. I developed an assessment that I use at the beginning, middle, and end of the year to test what levels each student is at. With that assesment I design the lesson plans to follow what the class is in need of. With this I have started redesigning the curriculum we have for our school. It is in the beginning process, but I feel it has become one of my greatest strengths. For each lesson I creat picture strips, visual signs, and oral commands for the main directions throughout my lessons. This is geared toward my visually and hearing impaired students and students that need structure and visual reminders to keep them on track. I have started a great collection that will hopefully continue to grow with each new developing idea.

My website is a resourse website. It is located on the lower right side of my blog. My website is titled the Bovenschen Special Olympics. It is a site that I will keep updated for staff, students, and parents to use for information about our schools Special Olympics Program.

1 comment:

spencercarr said...

It is good that you want to broaden yout teaching techniques. As a pretty new teacher myself, I feel the same way because I don't have the experience the more seasoned teachers have. Being able to teach certain things in new ways can be very helpful in the classroom. I see a lot of teacher who are set in their ways and won't change with the new technology or techniques that are otu there because they don't want to take the time. If they would just spend a little time looking at what is available, they might find that the new stuff out there might just work for them.