Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chapter 30 and Tech Review

After reading chapter 30 I have come to the understanding that visual and audio instruction has proven to be more successful in retaining knowledge than written text. Without reading this chapter I already strongly believe in this concept; however, it made me look at it from a more animated side. Being a special education teacher I use pictures and short commands to relate to everything in my instruction. Now I am wondering how I can create video and audio applications for my students to watch and recreate. Such as an exercise program that they can interact with online while they take the time to do the exercises. I would have to make them short and to the point, but it could be put on Cd's so students can take it home to work out on the weekends or after school. They could choose from different levels of workouts or even skills from different sports they are interested in could be broken down for them to watch and recreate. As in the chapter, I would still have to create the motivation to use the exercises or skills. In this maybe it would be a two person simulation were they have to watch and then perform offense and defensive skills in basketball. When they are finished they could play online against each other and earn points for correct moves choosen. It would be great to have this at the tip of your fingertips and maybe with more knowledge from this masters program I will be able to accomplish this application in the future.

I reviewed Google Documents and Phixr. Google Documents is a great free online applications. It provides everything Microsoft Office provides (at least that I can find), but with the option to publish directly to the Internet. The site is easy to navigate and resembles the look of Microsoft so if you are comfortable using this application than you should be able to easily transfer to Google Documents. It also has and quick and easy share button for you to instantly share your work with anyone you need to. You can go from one application to another with a click of a button because the Google application is organized and all connected in one. You can go from making a spreadsheet to a presentation without leaving a site. I personally like the fact that you can publish and share directly from the application. Otherwise, I find it very similar to Microsoft.
Phixr is a photo editing application that I reviewed. I found it to be a good site, but I would prefer Adobe Photo shop instead. You can change coloring, red eye, rotate, do effects, and add text. However, it does provide cutting out of your pictures or adding more to you pics. You can also upload your photos to your photo sharing account right from the application. Don't get me wrong its a good site for basic editing, but I like to get nitty gritty and do all sorts of things with my pics and this doesn't allow it.

4 comments:

andre.EDT.blog said...

Hi, Jacqueline,
I always knew that the text & picture combination was effective, too, but didn't really know why til I read this chapter - it helped me think about prioritizing different learning tools. Your exercise program is a great idea - I like strategies where students can access material outside of class. I think your approach to motivation is sound, too - most kids like some type of sport, and like the feeling of getting better at it, so relating exercise to a game is a good way to get their interest.

Patricia said...

Jacqueline,

There is much evidence which supports the use of varied instructional practices to meet needs of a diverse student population. In spite of evidenced based practices and advancements in technology, why do you think some educators resist varying their instructional practices to meet the needs of all learners?

trohrer said...

I think that your ideas is a great one, most students hae a sport that intrest them in some way and I think using your idea would be great. I twould allow them the opportunity workon their skills that they were poor on.

Unknown said...

Hello Jacqueline,
Your idea for using rich media with special education students it awesome, allowing them to see it and then take it home is an option that is always beneficial and build success in a program. My beliefs are so strong in this area of technology I guess that is why I chose this as my area for my masters, students in this day and age are bobbers in the world of technology, they don’t sink but they need assistance to stay within reach. Without teachers providing useful technology lessons the bobber or the students can float away. After reading several reviews of Google docs I think it is a great internet tool that allows the same options as Microsoft but on the World Wide Web. On your review of phixr I am a novice photographer that is getting into more editing and publishing pictures via the interent and blogs. My question for you is, is Adobe Photo Shop that much better for the cost of 80.00$. I am aware of the free down load versions but several of the tools that I use the most are upgrade versions.